Tech tales
Panic! The light is blinding, all I can make out is an ocean of dust, which clings to the air as if frozen. I strike violently at everything. Where is it? It’s loud and painful yet somewhat familiar. It doesn’t matter; it’s tormenting me and must be stopped. Why can’t I find it? I struggle fervently until finally I grasp it. Smooth and sleek it’s clearly a device of pure evil. I squeeze it with the intent to kill, my fingers stab viciously until I connect with the right spot. I emit a short sigh of relief as the noise subsides. Six o’clock in the morning is way to early for a phone call. Cell Phones are evil!
It’s funny how dependent we’ve become on technology. I remember a clear example of how socially programmed we’ve actually become. It was at my defensive driving class during one of the few breaks we were given. I recall a collection of us just waiting around bored to death until a person’s cell phone erupted in song. Not but a few seconds later everyone else in the room was suddenly checking their phone as if they were hoping for an imaginary message. Even I myself had trouble resisting the urge to check even though I was completely aware that the only think awaiting me was a static background. It was then that I truly realized the hold technology really has over us.
It was a cold autumn night and a few friends and I were up to a little mischief. We decided it would be fun to sneak onto our high school roof and explore the mysteries of our school at night. Hopping the gates was a cinch. So was the mounting of the soda machines to reach the overhangs that covered the walks. Once arriving on the roof we proceeded to explore the in and outs of our school as best we could. We simply didn’t realize that we had set off an alarm until we witnessed a flashlight in the courtyard down below. Thud, thud, thud and crash was the sound of me jumping off the overhang and my cell phone striking the ground. We frantically grasped the pieces and then jetted out the main gates never stopping to look until we were completely enveloped in the safety of darkness.


3 Comments:
To begin with, I really liked how you added a bit of mystery to your first paragraph. Nice job! That made me want to continue reading to figure out in what direction your story was headed. The amount of detail used added a lot of emphasis and made your paragraphs very interesting. I liked how your stories were unique and came from your own personal experience. I really liked your last story; I found it to be a little funny. Plus, I could relate to the whole “breaking of the phone” situation. LOL!
Very good job!
I loved your first story! It made me want to keep reading to find out what it was in the end! I would have never guessed it lead up to a phone call until you said, “Six o’clock in the morning is way to early for a phone call.” All your stories had a lot of detail and were very creative. Your topics were all very unique making it interesting to read them all. Your writing keeps the reader interested by the amount of excitement you create. Good job!
Hey Tom,
I really liked the first story. I imagined myself digging through my seat cushions looking for my cell phone when it goes off, it was pretty entertaining. I also agree with your second point stating the strangle hold phones have now. You almost feel powerless without one. Great job!
Ali Z
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home