Monday, February 23, 2009

Writing Teaching Writers

“The American Male at Age Ten” By Susan Orleans was one of the essays that I found both helpful and intriguing.  I really admire how the author portrays Colin Duffy and the details his world contains. Furthermore I love how she altered her writing style to reflect the age of her character in the story. A good example would be “It does not have much of a commercial district, but it is a town of amazing lawns.” This line helped me realize that in writing you can contrast things in a way that is still efficient, but also kind of comical or unexpected. The author does a very excellent job of dragging Colin off the pages and into a reader’s reality.  Another important concept I have taken away is that when truly describing yourself or someone else it is important to write about the things that make the individual unique. It’s Colin’s quirks that really bring him alive and allow readers to imagine both him and his world in a swirl of colors and sounds.

“Nine Beginnings” By Margaret Atwood is another piece that I found mind-boggling. I really admire her writing style, because it so chaotic and yet directionally oriented. It is almost like two entities are fighting over ideas and concepts as she lays down ink to paper. To me this means that not all writing has to adhere to strict form and function and that it is ok for certain writings to be merely expressive. Furthermore there is one part of the essay that really hits close to home. Margaret informs us as readers that failure is very much a part of writing and not only is it there but needed. “You need to know you can sink, and survive it,” she states. She goes on further to make the point that you always have a second chance when it comes to writing. To me this means that failing at writing should be encouraging not the opposite because with each failure you’re almost guaranteed that your next draft will be better.

Ultimately because of both authors I’m encouraged to challenge the form of my writing and make attempts to integrate uniqueness with general social acceptance. In essence that is exactly what I believe creative nonfiction is, socially acceptable uniqueness.

2 Comments:

Blogger C.D. Cooke said...

Tom,
Very interesting way to sum up non-fiction. Your definition is both socially acceptable and unique:) And I agree.
We also agree on Susan Orleans' essay as one to be admired. The character is key and like you said it is the unique little traits and quirks that make the character so likable or if nothing else, make them real.
I appreciate the perspective you took away from "Nine Beginnings." I love writing and it is good to learn that the failures along the way are steps to a masterpiece. The quote "You need to know you can sink, and survive it," is a good code to live by in and out of a writing atmosphere.
Thanks for your post. Nice work.

February 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I also found “The American Male at Age Ten” very interesting. I think you are right about Orlean, she did an excellent job of portraying Colin through her vivid writing. I also noticed how she used that childlike view to better relate Colin, it allowed the reader to also go back in time and reflect one one’s own inner child. As for “Nine Beginnings”, it also taught me that a writer is not perfect and with that idea gave me hope for my own writing.

February 26, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home