Monday, February 2, 2009

Chocolate Covered Conversation

It’s the same old setting, a few of us sit in different spots around the dimmed bedroom.  We start talking about random things yet it all comes together when my friend Alyssa states, “Man I love these chocolate oranges”. My first reaction was that of disgust, however it morphed into jealousy when I found out that the orange part merely described the shape. “That sounds so good.” Barker erupts and the conversation quickly becomes innocent and delightful. I change all of that by simply asking, “What other food would be gross covered in chocolate?” A small amount of time goes by and then suddenly, “Chocolate covered, scorpions.” Is expelled from Alyssa’s mouth. Barker and I while looking at each other start shaking our heads in disbelief. In almost perfect unison we shout, “scorpions are not considered food.” However, it does little good, Alyssa slowly slips into madness and ultimately decides to remain indifferent to the rules of the conversation.

Both Barker and I start throwing out ideas like chocolate covered pizza, or chocolate covered peanut butter, jelly, ketchup, and mustard sandwiches. The latter being a concoction from my childhood but we won't venture into that closet. Some time goes by and Alyssa appears to finally be getting the concept and contributes with, chocolate covered oysters and anchovies. I'm ecstatic, both are gross and perfectly fitting to the topic at hand. However, my new found faith is short lived, because the next phrase out of her mouth is literally, “Chocolate covered feces”. I start shaking my head as barker tries to explain the finer points and rules of our conversation to her. At this point all seems lost, i’ve lost interest entirely. I am merely content to play with Alyssa’s cat who up to this point had been chasing imaginary objects into actual objects. "Great!" I thought. Normally this would merit a head shaking and a small sigh but at this point I just tell myself, “Fuck it! At least this doesn't involve chocolate covered scorpions or feces.”

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that you have presented a hypothetical, random conversation instead of something entirely ordinary. These odd random talks we have with our friends tend to, in my experience, stand out more in memory than others, which makes them easier to recall in detail when writing. I think you did manage to capture the humor of the conversation, though a bit more detail in some areas would have enhanced that aspect.

For example, any body language that you or your friends exhibited during the conversation would be a welcome addition. Also, you begin with "the same old setting", but since we, your readers, do not know you or your normal routine, a little bit of description of the scene, of how people are situated in the space, of how many people are present, etc. would be nice.

Aside from a few minor typographical errors, there are a few sentences that could be strengthened by some trimming of excess, unnecessary words. For example,

"My first reaction was that of disgust..."

The "was that of" makes this sentence heavier than it needs to be and leaves you with a passive-sounding voice. Something like, "At first I was disgusted" or even, to keep your structure, "My first reaction was disgust", would be more effective in my opinion. The "was" brings up another point, however, which is tense.

"was" is past tense, and some moments in your essay are in present tense ("I start shaking my head") for example. Reconciling tenses (choosing one) will make your story flow much better.

My only other note is that your tone and word choice exhibit a loss of interest toward the end, in fact, you say so explicitly. While this may certainly be the case, your loss of interest in the conversation can translate into the reader's loss of interest as well. I found myself losing any engagement with the characters in the second half, and I attribute this to your deteriorating interest in the situation. It would be nicer for me, as a reader, to maintain a level of care for the conversation until the very end of your essay.

February 4, 2009 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger imaginative said...

Ha ha what an interesting story. I liked how you managed to tell an entire story with dialogue and humor while still maintaining the format of a blog post. Your choice of words and phrases were clever and fit perfectly into your narrative. Nice job and keep up the good work :)

February 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how you didn't do the conventional conversation technique of going back and forth from speaker to speaker. Although, you added some only vague details about your conversation. I also felt like you wrote from more about your prospective and the conversation, rather than actually letting the reader get invited into the conversation with you.

"Both Barker and I start throwing out ideas like chocolate covered pizza, or chocolate covered peanut butter, jelly, ketchup, and mustard sandwiches." In this instance you could have gave more detail about who gave what Idea. Overall, it you left me thinking about other thing that are gross in combination with chocolate.

February 5, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home