Readings Teaching Writers
“Screw” Fabio Morabito
Before reading this I never thought it was possible to compare two things in such an ocean size of detail. I was enthralled by the fact that two such simple objects could contain such interesting characteristics if only looked at through the proper view. Fabio did such a wonderful job of comparing the two that I almost failed to notice that he wasn’t just comparing a nail and a screw. He was comparing both of them to emotions, feelings, and human characteristics. I particularly enjoyed his description of the nail being exciting and the screw being empty and uneventful. Near the end of the story I have to admit that maybe there is such a thing as too much detail as well, it can make things very confusing. Over I learned that it is possible to go into so much more detail in our writing, it’s simply just a matter of approaching what we are describing from a different view.
“Drama Bug” David Sedaris
I really enjoyed this story; I found it quite humorous and had no trouble imagining his mother’s reactions or his expressions. What I really took away from this story was how the voice of writing can really make all the difference in immersion. I found myself entranced by the character and the way he thought. It was almost as if I was a kid again and I was there with him as he progressed through his youthful days. I enjoyed the use of old English and now realize that in writing all forms of language may be useful in conveying a certain feeling to your audience. The combination of a great voice and a unique approach can really create a wonderful read and is something I look forward to doing in the future. This piece, like the one before it, has inspired me to look at the subject of my writing from more views then just my own.

3 Comments:
I also agree that using to much detail can become confusing. I have come across that a few times in some of the stories we have read this semester. The author did a very good job at bringing the screw and nail to life. What I want to be able to do in the future is bring objects to life just as the author did. For the author story I feel that the more voice that author uses the better the story is. Just as you want to do in your future writing assignments, so do I; use more voice.
I agree with your comment, too much detail at times can be confusing for the reader. Yet, I think sometimes it’s crucial to add life to someone’s paper. I myself am guilty of this, sometimes I add to much stuff that I even get confuse.
The essay “Screw” was a very interesting piece I must admit, describing the nail and screw to an extent detail was great. In addition, bringing these tools to life and giving them human characteristics demonstrates that a writer is capable of seeing things from a different point of view.
Overall, you picked two great essays.
Like the posts above both mention yea too much detail can be boring and just clutter material, so i do agree. I think once the writer can find the balance between too much info and just enough to intrigue the reader is when the writing is most effective.
Ali Z
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home